Best Alberta Camping and Hiking Blogs
A good camping and hiking blog should have honest campground reviews, the latest information on a hike, a thorough list of things to do at a destination, and a few hidden gems to help inspire your next trip. Great pictures are a must, too. We’ve put together a list of some awesome local blogs for you to follow. Run mostly by Albertans, these writers are exploring our beautiful province, country, and earth and have a lot to share. Whether you’re looking to follow a family’s adventures or the coolest places to explore, the list below has it all. And it’s in alphabetical order.
Follow along with this active family as they explore Western Canada. Calgarian Tanya Koob has been sharing her family’s adventures since 2011 and each article features pictures, need-to-know details, and genuine opinions and advice. With special sections on shoulder season activities and hiking with young children, this is a great resource for planning your next day out with your own family.
If you’re looking for a blog with great hiking trail info, good photography, and advice for exploring with kids, this is the one for you. Tyler Dixon has great stories to share as he hikes and camps with his family. He’s been writing this blog since 2013 and it’s full of popular and unknown routes and campgrounds.
While this blog is about a whole lot more travel than just Alberta, the articles about hiking and camping are second to none. With incredible pictures accompanying the descriptive words of author Leigh McAdam, enjoy the outdoors and get the details for your next hike or camping trip.
This blog is full of gorgeous photographs and great information on hikes. Calgary-native Amanda McNally shares her adventures in the great outdoors - just try to keep up with her! This active blog is great for getting details on hiking routes in Southern Alberta.
Another great blog for families, writer Karen Ung provides great advice on where to go and what to bring. Whether you’re looking for hiking recommendations, things to do, places to stay, or food to try, this blog is an excellent resource.
This family of five does indeed have a lot of big adventures! Check out this blog for hikes, day trips, and camping destinations. The Rooney family has lots of tips for your own escapades around Calgary and beyond.
Here are a few other blogs worth a read:
- Explore - this digital magazine has been delivering high-quality articles geared towards all outdoor-loving Canadains for decades. There are articles on camping, travel, gear, fitness, and more.
- Fresh off the Grid - This beautiful blog has stunning photography paired with informative articles on recipes, hikes, and destinations.
- Go RVing Blog - If you’re looking for tips on RVing, this is a great resource.
- Hiking with Barry - Although it doesn't seem too active, this is an excellent resource for hikes in the Rockies.
- Never Idle Journal - Outdoorsy makes renting an RV a great experience, and they’ve also created a wonderful blog.
Of course, we have lots more articles on our blog, too, covering topics from insurance to maintenance to campground reviews. Subscribe to get the latest!