Calgary Travel Trailer Insurance
Protect your relaxation time with Calgary travel trailer insurance. Get a quote for comprehensive, affordable coverage today!
Get a Quote
Calgary has a lot to offer when it comes to the great outdoors. Only an hour or two away from the badlands, big prairie sky, and of course, incredible mountains, you can enjoy camping in a wide variety of landscapes. A travel trailer lets you bring some of the comforts of home with you while you camp – the possibilities are endless.
Protect your recreational and relaxation time around Calgary by getting travel trailer insurance. This will help protect you financially from unexpected disasters and get you back to doing what you love.
At RV Direct, we offer comprehensive and affordable Calgary travel trailer insurance. Our policies start at $200 per year and can be customized to fit your needs and budget.Get a Quick Quote
What is Calgary travel trailer insurance?
Travel trailer insurance helps reduce the financial burden of unexpected damage or loss to your trailer. It is an agreement between yourself and the insurance provider to cover damage or loss if it is caused by an insured peril.
Why Do I need travel trailer insurance in Calgary?
If your trailer is financed, you will usually be required to have travel trailer insurance by your lender. This protects their investment and loan.
Travel trailer insurance is also a good idea if you can’t afford major repairs or to replace your trailer if it’s significantly damaged or even destroyed.
This coverage also comes with other perks such as roadside assistance and emergency vacation expenses, both of which can come in handy if something happens while on the road.
There are many things that can go wrong while you’re traversing the roadways. Reduce your worry that something could go wrong. If you take your trailer out frequently, it’s likely something will go wrong at some point.
The key is to be prepared for the unknown and have a plan to deal with it.
Why Choose RV Direct Insurance as Your Calgary Travel Trailer Insurance Broker?
6 reasons to choose RV Direct for your travel trailer insurance needs in Calgary:
- Comprehensive, customized coverage.
- Affordable, competitive prices.
- Unrivalled expertise in RV insurance.
- In-house underwriting – which means less waiting for you.
- Perks like included emergency vacation expense with every policy.
- Exceptional customer service.
How to Get a Travel Trailer Insurance Quote in Calgary
You can get a travel trailer insurance quote in Calgary from RV Direct by:
- Requesting a quote online
- Call: 403-271-7831
- Email: [email protected]
Our brokers are happy to answer any questions you have about Calgary travel trailer insurance.
What does Calgary Travel Trailer Insurance Cover?
Our Calgary travel trailer insurance is customizable to your needs. There are a few coverages available:
- Physical damage to your trailer, its contents and outbuildings. This covers repairs or replacement for damage caused by an insured peril like hail or fire.
- Comprehensive personal liability: If a visitor steps into your trailer, falls and gets hurt, or you unintentionally cause damage to someone’s property and you get sued, you’re protected. This is added to policies where you’re temporarily living in your trailer.
- Premises liability: if your trailer is parked on a lot rented or leased by you and someone gets hurt while visiting you, you’ll have protection if you’re sued.
- Emergency vacation expenses: helps cover additional expenses while your trailer is being repaired due to a covered claim, including accommodation or transportation to get you home or continue your trip.
- Basic roadside assistance
Our brokers will get you a policy that suits your needs and budget – you won’t be paying for travel trailer coverage you don’t need.
If you live in Calgary, travel trailer insurance covers physical damage to your trailer, its contents, and outbuildings (like a shed or deck) from a variety of perils, including:
- Flooding (if you have the overland water endorsement)
- Falling object like a tree
- Impact by another vehicle, watercraft, or aircraft
This isn’t an exhaustive list – check your policy documents or chat to one of our travel trailer insurance brokers in Calgary to fully understand which perils are covered.
Comprehensive Personal Liability
Comprehensive personal liability insurance is for those temporarily living in their trailers. This is normally covered by property insurance such as home, condo or renter’s insurance.
This coverage protects you if someone is hurt or has their property damage due to your unintentional actions. It can cover medical costs and legal expenses, including defense costs, settlements and awarded damages.
If you rent or lease a permanent lot, you should have premises liability. This includes seasonal campsites, RV resort lots, and RV storage spots. Premises liability helps cover your legal expenses if someone is hurt or has their property damaged while on visiting your lot.
Emergency Vacation Expenses
Emergency vacation expenses can help cover additional costs if you have a covered claim. This can be used in a few ways, such as covering accommodation costs while you wait for repairs or transportation home if your RV is undriveable.
It’s important to remember that these are for the difference in the costs you would’ve had and the costs you have due to the claim – not for the entire amount. You should also keep all receipts in order to ensure you’re properly refunded.
Our Calgary travel trailer insurance policies come with basic roadside assistance. This includes:
- Towing (limited kilometers)
- Flat tire fix
- Fuel delivery
- Lockout service
- Battery boost
You can upgrade to roadside assistance to get increased towing kilometres and other travel assistance perks.
Rental or RV-Sharing
Normally, renting out an RV is NOT covered by Calgary travel trailer insurance. However, some of our insurers allow RV rental or RV-sharing through an approved platform and with the purchase of an endorsement (add-on coverage).
If you’d like to learn a little extra income when you’re not using your trailer, simply inform your insurer, list it on the approved platform, and you can rent your RV without worrying if you’re covered.
What is NOT covered under a Calgary travel trailer insurance?
Here are a few things that Calgary travel trailer insurance doesn’t cover you for:
1. Any damage or loss caused by:
- Wear and tear
- Criminal activities carried out by you.
- Rodents, vermin and insects
- Slow leakage or seepage
- Manufacturer defect
2. Travel to Mexico
3. Commercial use of your trailer
(unless you are listing it on an approved RV sharing or RV rental platform and have the endorsement added to your Calgary travel trailer insurance policy).
A full list of exclusions can be found in your insurance policy documents. Your broker will also be able to help you understand what is and what is not covered under your specific policy.
How much does travel trailer insurance cost in Calgary?
Travel trailer insurance starts at $200 per year in Calgary. The cost will increase with the value of your trailer, your insurance coverage options, and several other factors.
What affects travel trailer insurance rates in Calgary?
The following factors affect Calgary travel trailer insurance rates:
- Your demographics
- Your insurance history
- The market and/or purchase price of your trailer
- The type of trailer
- The make, model and year of your trailer
- How you use your trailer
- Your insurance options, like deductible, policy limit, coverage, and loss settlement
How can I save money on my Calgary travel trailer insurance?
You can save money on your Calgary travel trailer insurance by:
- Working with a broker to get the best rates and right coverage for your needs.
- Raising your deductible.
- Installing an approved security device.
- Joining an approved RV club.
- Allowing for a soft credit check (it does not impact your credit score).
- Staying insured to build up your insurance history.
Calgary Travel Trailer Insurance FAQs
Below are the answers to some of your most frequently asked questions about travel trailer insurance in Calgary.
Does my car insurance cover my travel trailer?
Your car insurance extends third party liability coverage to include your travel trailer while you’re towing. This does not include any coverage if your trailer is damaged. It only covers damages to others if you’re at fault in an accident while towing.
Does my home insurance cover my travel trailer?
Some home insurance companies allow you to add your travel trailer. However, this comes with some downsides:
- Your trailer may not be insured to its full value.
- Outbuildings may not be covered.
- Premises liability may not be included.
- You may not have as much coverage as with a Calgary travel trailer insurance policy.
- Your deductible may be higher.
- You must make a claim through your home policy if your trailer is damaged or stolen, which can lead to higher rates.
Travel trailer insurance is very affordable in Calgary. It makes sense to have a separate policy to ensure you’re properly covered while minimizing the cost to yourself.
Am I covered if my travel trailer gets stolen?
Yes, Calgary travel trailer insurance will cover you if your trailer is stolen. There is normally a waiting period to allow police to attempt to locate your trailer before your claim is settled.
Am I covered if I travel to the US or Mexico with my trailer?
We cover travel to the US but do not cover travel to Mexico. If you’re going to be in the US with your trailer for longer than 6 months, please let your broker know.
Am I covered for hail damage to my trailer?
Yes, you’re covered for hail damage with Calgary travel trailer insurance.
Are my personal belongings covered by my Calgary travel trailer insurance?
The contents of your trailer are covered under your Calgary travel trailer insurance. This extends to things normally found in a trailer like kitchen items and bedding. Things like electronics and jewelry may not be covered or may not be covered to their full value.
It’s important to talk to your broker if you have high-value items or things not normally associated with camping kept in your trailer. We recommend making an inventory and discussing it with your broker to ensure you’re properly covered.
Do I need to insure my travel trailer year-round in Calgary?
Yes, we recommend insuring your travel trailer year-round in Calgary. This is for two reasons:
- Damage and loss can happen at any time.
- Our policies are priced for year-round coverage. You will likely see higher rates if you cancel every year.
I have a permanent lot, how does insurance work?
We can customize your insurance policy to include:
- Premises liability
- Physical damage for any outbuildings on your permanent lot
- Increased contents coverage, if necessary
You may be eligible for a discount if you park your trailer on the permanent lot as well.
If I lend my trailer to a friend, am I covered by my Calgary travel trailer insurance?
Yes, your travel trailer insurance will cover damage or loss experienced while you lend your trailer to a friend as long as:
- The damage was not caused by the friend intentionally or due to their criminal actions
- You did not accept any money from the friend to use the trailer
We recommend against lending out your trailer due to the risk of damage.
We Help you Get the Best Rates
If you still have questions or need help with anything related to your RV, please give us a call or email one of our brokers at your convenience.
Our RV specialists have many years of experience, and we would love to help you get the best, affordable rates available.Get a Quote
Areas We Serve:
In addition to Calgary, we provide travel trailer insurance across Western Canada including British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.