Basics of Snowmobile Insurance in Alberta
Thousands of Albertans enjoy snowmobiling as a winter pastime. But did you know you need snowmobile insurance if you ride on Alberta’s public lands? In this article, we break down everything you need to know about snowmobile insurance in Alberta.
What is snowmobile insurance?
In Alberta, snowmobile insurance helps protect you, your snowmobile, and others. You can purchase a separate policy or you may be able to add your snowmobile to your home insurance policy. A separate policy has the benefit of additional protection and the fact you won’t have to make a claim on your home insurance if something happens.
Snowmobile Insurance Coverage
There are three main areas of coverage for snowmobile insurance in Alberta:
- Third-Party Liability - helps cover you if someone is injured while using your snowmobile or if you injure someone else or damage their property while you’re riding. If this happens, this protection can help cover medical, property damage, and legal expenses.
- Accident Benefits - helps cover your costs and loss of income if you’re hurt in a snowmobiling accident.
- Property Damage - if your snowmobile or accessories are damaged or stolen, this can help you repair or replace them.
In Alberta, the third-party liability coverage is required if you plan to ride your snowmobile on public land.
Keep in mind that every snowmobile insurance policy is different. Exactly what’s covered will depend on the insurance company, your snowmobile, and your insurance options.
The Cost of Snowmobile Insurance in Alberta
The price of snowmobile insurance in Alberta depends on a few factors, including:
- The type of snowmobile
- The make and mobile of your snowmobile
- The age of your snowmobile
- The MRSP of your snowmobile
- Where you ride your snowmobile
- Where you live and store your snowmobile
- Your credit rating
- Your insurance history
- Your claims history
- Your demographics
- If you add it on to your home insurance or purchase a separate policy
- Your insurance options
You can usually get discounts on your Alberta snowmobile insurance if you bundle your coverage with another type of insurance with the same company. There are also claims-free and loyalty discounts, as well as discounts for security devices. Exactly what’s available will depend on which insurance company you go with.
Reasons to Have Snowmobile Insurance in Alberta
Here are some reasons you need snowmobile insurance in Alberta:
- It’s required by law in Alberta if you want to ride on public lands
- If you can’t afford to repair or replace your snowmobile if it’s damaged or stolen
- If you’ve financed your snowmobile and it’s required by your lender
Alberta’s Snowmobile Requirements
If you ride on public land in Alberta, you’re required to:
- Register your snowmobile
- Have a minimum of $200,000 third party liability insurance coverage
- Wear an approved helmet
- All passengers must also wear an approved helmet
- You must be at least 14 years old to operate alone
A note on helmets: some insurance companies won’t cover you if you’re not wearing a helmet - especially if it’s the law.
Safety Tips for Snowmobiling in Alberta
- Take a snowmobile safety course
- Avoid riding at night in unfamiliar terrain
- Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Stay on the trails
- Don’t speed
- Check the weather forecast and trail conditions before you go
- Ensure the ice is at least 25cm thick if you’re riding over lakes and rivers
- Carry emergency equipment - survival and first aid
- Make sure your snowmobile is the right size for you
- Ensure your snowmobile is in good operating condition
- Don’t overload your snowmobile
- Dress for the weather
- Always wear an approved helmet
- Ride with a friend
- Let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back
Talk to a Snowmobile Insurance Broker
One of our snowmobile insurance brokers will be able to answer any question you have about snowmobile insurance in Alberta. They can help you determine what coverage you need and find you the best protection for your budget.